Highland Villas has earned 2012 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) Bronze Certification!
Located in Highland, Illinois, the development provides affordable housing for seniors through eight townhouse buildings and a community building. The project includes 48 residential units available to seniors ages 55+, including 43 one-bedroom and 5 two-bedroom apartments. In addition to the residential apartments, Highland Villas features numerous common amenities, including a community building with recreational space opening onto a patio, a communal kitchen, laundry units, and a computer alcove. In addition, the project includes a looped walking trail, seating areas with picnic table and grills, and community garden plots that are open to residents.
Sustainable design features including Energy Star rated equipment, advanced framing techniques, and high efficiency lighting fixtures have been incorporated to the project. Additional key green features at Highland Villas include:
- Use of advance air sealing technique for energy efficiency
- Water saving showers, toilets and faucets
- Landscaping comprised of native plantings requiring no irrigation
- Low VOC paints and coatings
- All Energy Star rated light fixtures and exhaust fans
- Roof overhangs and covered porches used to protect doors and windows from precipitation and solar radiation
- Use of prefabricated roof trusses for material efficiency
WJW appreciates the opportunity to have worked with the development partnership of Southwestern Illinois Development Authority and Bywater Development in realizing this great senior living development, and recognize the exceptional job Altman Charter Company did in building it. We are pleased to have been a team member on this healthy, sustainable project that seniors in Highland can be proud to call home!