Silver Birch at Cook Road in Fort Wayne, Indiana recently earned 2012 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) Bronze Certification.
Located on the north side of Fort Wayne, the project includes 119 units of affordable assisted living, indoor & outdoor common area amenities, and administrative spaces. The building was designed to reduce its environmental impact while also prioritizing the wellness of its residents & staff. Key sustainable features at Silver Birch at Cook Road include:
- Native landscape plantings
- Outdoor landscaped walking paths to promote daily activity and access to nature
- Accessible-height planting beds to encourage outdoor recreation & hobbies
- Panelized wall-systems & efficient framing techniques to reduce construction waste
- Energy Star rated appliances
- Energy efficient LED lighting
- Durable, long-lasting, low maintenance materials
- Energy efficient windows
- Use of advance air sealing techniques for energy efficiency
- Water-conserving showers, toilets, and faucets
- Low VOC interior paints, sealants, carpets, and adhesives
- Quiet exhaust fans remove indoor air pollutants and supply residents with fresh air
- Programmed community spaces situated to maximize access to daylight and views to the nature
WJW is pleased to have been a team member on this healthy, sustainable project that area seniors can be proud to call home!