Silver Birch of Hammond in Hammond, Indiana recently received 2012 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) Silver Certification. The project provides 125 units of affordable assisted living for seniors. Green building practices are integral to the design, construction, and daily operations of the building by providing connectivity to the larger community, energy and resource efficiency, and a healthy living environment, all of which help to make Silver Birch of Hammond a desirable place to live.
NGBS Silver-Certified Projects must meet rigorous standards in (7) different green building categories. Key green features at Silver Birch of Hammond include:
- Neighborhood amenities and public transit access within walking distance
- Outdoor landscaped walking paths
- Preservation of existing trees on site during demolition & construction
- Native landscape plantings
- Energy Star rated appliances
- Energy efficient LED and compact fluorescent lighting
- Durable, long-lasting, low maintenance materials
- Water-conserving plumbing fixtures
- Low VOC interior paints, sealants, carpets, and adhesives
- Quiet Exhaust fans remove indoor air pollutants and supply residents with fresh air
These features ensures that the residents’ homes will be healthy, affordable, and sustainable for years to come. WJW was proud to be a team member on this important and sustainable project.