Berwyn Apartments has earned 2012 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) Silver Certification!
Located on Oak Park Avenue in Berwyn, IL, this former hotel, originally built in the 1920s, now provides 28 units of affordable family housing within its renovated structure. Constructing a green building development for Berwyn Apartments was critical to ensure that residents’ homes will be healthy, affordable, and sustainable for years to come.
Key green site features of Berwyn Apartments include:
• Native plants and grasses, selected to be regionally appropriate for local growing conditions
• Energy Star-rated appliances, light fixtures, windows, and highly reflective Energy Star-rated membrane roofing system
• Occupancy sensors for common space lighting
• High R-value building envelope insulation above and beyond energy code minimums
• Water-conserving faucets, shower heads and toilets used throughout the facility
• Prefabricated structural components such as roof and floor joists to reduce waste
• Durable, long-lasting, low-maintenance materials were specified for the building’s exterior
• Continuous exhaust from residential units, and Low-VOC paints and sealants for better indoor air quality for persons with allergies, asthma, and chemical sensitivities
WJW is proud to have been a team member on this healthy and sustainable project!